Christian Charity


There is no substitute for Christian care. Christians, care for all the people of the entire world. (Never mind the right-wing fundamentalists. Even though it may be hard to believe they care for you too.) Critics will say, if this is true why have millions of people suffered through wars and foreign policies enforced by Christian nations, such the U.S? And there is a simple answer. Just because people may call themselves Christians by name, they are not Christians by faith. I call them cultural Christians, who like the rest of the world may only care for themselves. But overall, the overwhelming majority of Christian churches have done so much good for the welfare of all mankind. Christians extend a helping hand to all peoples, even if they are not Christian.

Once, when our family was poor and hungry, because of an apartment fire, we were sent by our state welfare agency to ask for assistance through a Jewish community organization. When they saw me with my mother, and they realized we were not Jewish, they turned us away. They told us, "Why are you here? Who sent you here?" When we returned to the state agency who referred us to them, they asked us to go back. They could not deny us because they themselves were receiving aid through public funds. Reluctantly, after much pressure from the state, the Jewish agency finally gave us the aid we needed. Now that I have grown up I realize why they did that. In contrast, during this same time, even though we were Catholic, we went to an evangelical church to ask for food and they gave us several boxes. Unfortunately, most non-Christian groups will only help their own, and no one else.

But Christians are different. If any nation is in need because of a natural disaster or hunger, Christian organization are the first to respond, even if they have to go to nations that are hostile to us. We do so because we have the love of Christ in us. When someone, no matter who they are is in distress, it pains us and the love of Christs compels us to help. Back in the 1950's and 60's when there was a great influx of Asian immigrants to the United States. These non-Christian immigrants sought shelter in Christian organizations such as the YMCA. No one was turned away even if they were Muslims or Hindus.

Times are changing because even after we have given people so much, we are being attacked by those who we help. They bite the hand that fed them. But that is OK, we do it because we receive our joy from the Lord. He told us thus:

Then the King will say to those on his right, `Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

The King will reply, `I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

No other group of people or faith that exists in this planet has done more good than Christians. No other faith. That is why I am a Christian and I will always be a Christian until the day I die.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This post encouraged me well. I did not have the time to post a comment, I was rushing! thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Islam Unites Christians

Muslims and Christians DO NOT Believe in the Same God!

Christians Enjoy Their Life!